Thursday, May 9, 2013

Windows 8 Not Detecting DVD Drive Fix

After installing Windows 8 into my machine I did not have any problems with it, it was smooth and I was able to familiarize with the new Metro UI. Until one day I needed to burn an installer for an old laptop that I was fixing, and then boom! my burning software cannot detect my DVD writer. I restarted my computer and went to the BIOS setup to check if my DVD writer was indeed not beingg detected by my system. But everything seems to be fine, I did not move any connections when I did a clean install of windows 8 so I was puzzled of what seems to be the cause of the problem.  I've been searching the web for a couple of minutes to find a fix for the problem and I finally found a solution. So here it is, you just need to add a registry key to fix the problem with the DVD drive not being detected by windows 8.


STEP 1. Run Command Prompt as Administrator

Run the "Command Prompt" as an Administrator. In Windows Metro, type "cmd" (without the " ") , the command prompt will be listed on the results list at the left inside the box. Press and hold ctrl + shift then press Enter.

STEP 2. Type the Following Command to Add the Registry Key

reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

if you have a second drive, type this also

reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice2 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000002

STEP 3. Reboot Computer

STEP 4. Verify if the problem has been resolved

No comments:

Post a Comment